Friday, August 29, 2008

tomorrow is our final ride


I am once again reeling from the after effects of an asthma attack but oddly enough this time I am not as upset.  I seem to have resigned myself to the fact that I will need some serious rest (to my lungs) before I can attack these hills.  Even the flats have become a great deal of work as I labour at breathing rythmically. 
 
This is very beautiful country to drive and ride through.  Every so often as we pass by a cyclist grinding uphill, I get a jealousy pang (I know how odd is that) and feel a loss but for the most part I am happy that Paul, Cynthia and the others are able to enjoy the ride.  What will tomorrow bring? 
 
Our welcome into the States was almost magical.  You could see God's hand at work in how lanes were opened just for the cyclists as we crossed the Rainbow Bridge and we did not even have to show any ID of any sort.  We just rode right across, one by one while border guards counted us.  I have never had such an easy crossing before in my lifetime.  It was wonderful. 
 
I am partial to the East.  I love the trees, hills and most of all, the history and architecture of the area.  The vast array of gardens, antebellum and colonial homes of the past, old barns and churches.  You can see the care and thought that is put into every detail.  Yesterday we were able to see a few of the old bridges in Pennsylvania.  Vast, mighty, structures that just take your breath away. 
 
Now we are at the end of our journey.  Or are we?  Is this just the beginning?  Can you ever really know until you step out in faith whether the path you take is the beginning of a journey or the end of one?  This tour will change our lives.  Permanently.  The changes may have already taken place or they may be slow and gradual but change will happen.  Please pray for us all, that we will be ready to continue on in our quest to help the poor, that we will see where God is leading us, and that we will answer when he calls, "Who will go?"